Skip to main content

A Look At The Estranged Mr. Tom Sachs

"Work like a slave, order like a king, create like a god," the many quips and quotes from Mr. Tom Sachs paint a picture of genius that is harrowing, yet strangely inspiring. A sculptor by trade, his workshop named "The Studio," specializes in creating unique art pieces drawing inspiration from all sources in pop culture and our modern society.
But Mr. Sachs himself is a character I find fascinating. He has a view and outlook on art and society that is really unique, and he finds appreciation for the most simple objects in every day life. "I want labor to be the point, because everything in our lives is miraculously made with no idea of how it's done. As an active and critical consumer, and as someone who has attempted to make the flawless and failed, I wanted a transparency of construction here. If we know how it is made and how it falls apart, we will know how to rebuild it." One of his main rules for creation is that an object has to show that it was made by a real person, unlike the pristine, nearly perfect objects like Iphones that surround us every day. He stipulates that plywood is always painted before cutting, so that the bare edges are exposed.

Simple rules like these demonstrate extreme forethought, and this mentality of appreciating every detail in creation is something I attempt to use myself. Over the years I have watched almost every film he has created, every interview he has given, and have just a sort of strange obsession with his work that I cannot explain or justify. Just yesterday I even purchased a pair of shoes he created in collaboration with Nike at great personal expense. And the more I see, read, and hear from him, the more my appreciation grows. His work really is unique in today's art landscape, and I think it is more important now than every as our obsession with brand and status seems to be growing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Apocalypses in general

I was doing some thinking, and I realized that of all of the different types of apocalypses often portrayed in media, it seems like a pandemic is the only one you could realistically survive. I am going to break down each type and why I think this is true. Zombies So this is probably this first thing everyone thought of when you read the word apocalypse. And this is an interesting case. As zombies are portrayed, they are not very smart and do not have great fine motor skills. Because of this I do think that if a zombie apocalypse started here in the US lets say, it could very easily be contained to the continent as zombies could not fly a plain or drive a boat to get anywhere else. However unless you escape, I doubt someone could survive long in the landscape as you would constantly be fending off the millions of zombies that are constantly trying to kill you. Bullets and food supplies only last so long. You cannot settle to farm as the land is too hard to defend indefinitely, and e

The Holland Shipping

The independent reading novel that I chose to read,  The Shipping News , takes place in a small Newfoundland town that is heavy into the fishing and shipping industries. In some way every job is connected to the sea, be it writing about ship wrecks for the paper, doing ship repair, or just working on a ship. And this reminded me of our town's own shipping industry. And while it is nowhere nearly as large as an international port in Newfoundland, it is still a large part of my childhood memories. My grandparents have a house on the north side of lake Mackatawa on a place called Chippawa point. Their living room has an immense window that faces the lake, and I would spend many summer days sitting and watching the boats go past, the Holland Princess, the Sunquest, and the large coal barges. The lake has a large shipping channel spanning its length from the outlet to Lake Michigan, to the now abandoned coal plant at the other end. This is regularly used for deliveries of coal or grav